Wednesday, January 21, 2009

It Has Been a While!!

May 5, 2008 was the last time that I put up a blog. After reading it recently I realized how half-ass it was so I thought for 2009, I would try and redeem myself as a novice blogger. I suppose that I lost interest in this for a while, or maybe I got really busy, or maybe I just forgot to keep it up. To tell the truth, it is probably a combination of all of those things. Maybe Alexis and I are just not that interesting…no, that’s not it!

Also, when I recently looked at my blog, I saw that I had been tagged by Jessie, which I will get to, but probably not today. So Jessie, I will respond to your tag, soon.

Let’s get you caught up with our world.

Alexis completed her first full year as a kindergarten teacher at Northwood Hills Elementary. She liked it so much that she decided now would not be a good time to retire and that she should keep teaching. This year’s class does not seem to be as well behaved as last year’s class. I think this year’s class is 20 boys and 2 girls. OK I am exaggerating, but not by much. The boys tend to group together and act like 5 year olds.

She has a repeat from her class last year, who was not ready for Kindergarten so he was sent down to pre-K. Evidently is grandmother did not wish hard enough for him to get smart (she once told Alexis that for her other grandson, she wished and wished and wished that he would become well behaved, and he did. She thought she would wish and wish and wish for Alexis’ current student to get smart.) Thus far the grandmother’s plan has not worked. Who knows, the Smart Fairy could still make a visit.
*The previous paragraph was not written or approved by Alexis*

Alexis is also not working the long hours that she did her first year and even the first part of this second year. It’s pretty nice, she leaves after me and gets home before me.

As for my job, it has changed a little. I was a contractor at an oil company based in Dallas run by some guy named Ray, and in August I was hired as a full time Landman. Finally, after over a year of being “self employed” I had benefits, company paid health insurance, 401(k), opportunities for raises and bonuses and promotions. All the things some people might take for granted if you work in a corporate setting. I have been responsible for land activities in North Dakota where our target formation is the Bakken Shale. Things were really great at $140 oil, but things aren’t as great at $40 oil. But all things aside, it’s nice to have some job security for once.

The only complaint I have is that our dress code is formal business attire. That means suits, jackets, and ties. What is this, the ‘20s? Oh well, I still sport the crazy hair though!

There are many more things to cover including Ace and Steve, our new house, Texas Tech football, and other current endeavors. But for now, I have neglected my job for long enough. I need to get back to work and try to figure out how to get the price of oil back up!

3 comments:

Daryl & Diana said...

Welcome back!

Anonymous said...

Super keep it up I enjoy reading your blog. sonny

Anonymous said...

super