Friday, February 16, 2007

A Day in the Life of...

...Alexis. Since graduating in December, I have been subbing for elementary schools around the Dallas/Richardson area. On Monday, I was subbing for a lovely 1st grade class at the school where I student taught, when the principal called me into her office. She asked if I would like to take over a long term sub job until the end of the year. I thought that it sounded like a great opportunity! She smiled and then said that it was for 6th grade math. I immediately said, "Sure." I like math, so that was not a problem, but 6th graders instead of 6 year olds? Oh geez. So on Wednesday morning I started teaching math that I have not reviewed since I was in 6th grade. I only have three classes (25/25/7) and 30 minute period where I have to do something (I have not figured it out yet) with 30 students. My teaching is going to be rough for a while since I am replacing another long term sub that did not make other people happy. The staff is very supportive though, so it will be a good experience. This job should lead to a permanent job opportunity at this school or another one in the district, but I still miss my sweet little kindergarteners!!!

1 comment:

Daryl & Diana said...

So are you subbing for a teacher on maternity leave or something? Do you have to write the lesson plans yourself? 6th grade math... that's not a TAKS class, is it?